Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dulalala!! 01

So yeah, pretty much the prelude to the second coming.

It's a book that has a fairly leisurely pace early on, and the first episode winds up being sort of a walk and talk, cross cut with the chat room, and with the headless rider taking out some kidnappers. Same high quality production, definitely captures the original work. I was particularly impressed with the sound design on the bike.
More importantly, they've once again nailed the opening sequence. While the song was fine on it's own, combined with the visuals, it really pops. Pity they've once again chosen a vile piece of shit for an ending theme.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. I am so looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me why I don't usually watch anime week-to-week; it was not at all a satisfying chunk of story. I understand why they needed to touch on some of the things they did, but this crammed in just way too many people, with barely any hooks to remember any of them by. I'm still jazzed about this series, but I hardly enjoyed any of this episode. Wonder if I'd have felt the same about Baccano if I didn't plow through the whole thing in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hence the tempered enthusiasm above, yeah. Every damn one of his books -- except possibly Hariyama-san -- starts with a long ass chunk of pieces being placed on the board. They tried to avoid this on the Baccano anime by pulling every writing trick in the book, and it probably just made the first episode hopelessly confusing. This time they played it straight, but ended up not getting into the meat of the thing at all. I seriously remembered the book starting with Izaya and Shizuo running into each other; apparently that's gonna happen next week, and apparently isn't till CHAPTER FIVE, well past page 100. Christ, they could do another full episode of set up, but hopefully they'll have the sense to get to the bartender violence next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by to thank you for the information. I'm intrigued by this series, and I'm glad you have read the novels and can pass along some badly-needed info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually watched this in a timely manner.

    It was basically all setup, yeah - but there was enough of a spark in the dialog that I've got high hopes for the rest of the series.

    It did what a first ep needs to do: give me at least a sign of the talent and love of the staff.

    ReplyDelete