Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Can I Take Nothing for Granted, Dragon Dynasty?

So much for the Criterion of Asian film.
Cheerily awesome two films a month initial schedule quickly gives way to one a season; promises of never before seen quality soon turn out to be piss poor transfers and frequently unintelligible subtitles, but fuck it, you were putting out a bunch of movies that made a big impact on me for cheap, and I was happy to go back and collect them.
At least they were uncut and had the original language tracks, right?
Apparently not any more.
Finally got around to watching the DVD of Jet Li's THE ENFORCER (My Father is a Hero, possibly his best work) and...there's only the fucking shitty English dub they did several years back.
While I'm not surprised they'd suddenly stop bothering - Weinstein has film blood on his hands the way Kissinger does political - I am surprised to have discovered this on my own, several months after release.
Twitch, at the least, should have been in an uproar. But I guess nobody really gives a flying fuck about old kung fu movies, which is probably why they never get treated the way they should be.
I hate the world, and I'm going to bed.

3 comments:

  1. Do not despair Andrew. Dragon Dynasty may have done the world a disservice, but take comfort in the fact that you have been referred to as a "famous internet personality" by a certain blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, every time someone moans about anime/manga fans being pointlessly nitpicky and impossible to please, I think of shit like this and give thanks that some companies still give two shits about what their customers think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, it is taking all my willpower not to tag this "Henry Kissinger".

    ReplyDelete