Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gamer

I did not walk into Gamer excepting to want to write about it here.
I have a lot of love for the gleeful excess in the two Crank films, and I basically went wanting more of that. And worried that they grittier tone would make it less fun.
But they seem to have stumbled backwards into something kind of great here. It is a chaotic mess of half-baked sci-fi and overwrought excess, and I'm damn sure there are all kinds of places where it wouldn't hold up to scrutiny if I were the sort of dick who went around poking holes in Doctor Who plots. My brain knows all that. But I walked out feeling like I'd just seen something every bit as good as District 9.
I really can't explain why, so I suspect I'm gonna have to go see it again.

4 comments:

  1. "But I walked out feeling like I'd just seen something every bit as good as District 9."

    You are kidding, right? If not, then you are out of your mind. Or not sober, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post kind of makes me feel guilty for passing up on Crank 2 earlier this year in disbelief of it being a worthy follow-up.

    I'll check this out, then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concepts of "quality" and "enjoyment" can get blurry sometimes. I didn't enjoy Inglorious Basterds, but I'd still somehow call it a damn fine film. Then I got my friend saying, "If I don't like it, it's shit."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why we can't have nice things.

    ReplyDelete